nandnerd.info | Map API
[ *work in progress* - - - debug - link to this view ]
Data is aquired by an LSL script and sent by HTTP Request to a PHP script which then churns out the .PNG image.
This page is where I have been playing around with the Second Life Map API. I have been scanning the mainland for Linden owned land. With this data I've made an overlay for each region and a big overlay for each mainland continent (not all mainland continents are complete). The reason I did this goes back to the times I toured the mainlands in a speedboat. I needed to guess the presence of Linden waterways and would quite often get bounced by a ban line. Having mapped the Linden owned land I can now plot a course to sail (or drive / fly / walk) safe in the knowledge of no access restrictions (save for regions being too full or offline). These pages are a scribble pad for my work and not a polished finished item, any comments, suggestions or requests please point them nand Nerd's way in-world.
For an overall view of the continents check out the following links:
- Sansara / Old Continent
- Heterocera Atoll
- Jeogeot / Southern Continent
- Nautilus City
- Gaeta I
- Gaeta V
- Bay City
A long list of all the regions. Select one and hit Go! to have the map above pan to that region.
- May 2011 - Started scanning for the presence of water. In itself this is not terribly exciting however this now produces two new overlays for each region. In addition to an overlay which simply shows the water we can combine with the data aquired for linden owned land and produce an overlay showing linden owned waterways (linden land is shown in orange, waterways in cyan and other water is navy). I've been busy scanning the Satori continent and have seen quite a few areas where a boat may not be able to pass (land owners spilling out over the protected land/waterway and routes suddenly terminate with no more linden owned land for a couple of regions) which makes circumnavigating this continent a bit more challenging.
- April 2011 - Finally got the overlay working with scaling for zoom using GGroundOverlay. Cannot vary the opacity/transparency of this type of overlay.
- Linden Labs dropped the old map in favour of the Google Maps API v2, breaking this map. I tried for a while to implement the same features I had built up but not all of them survived the conversion.
- quite a while ago - Added the mainland continent overview page to display a whole continent in one go. 'Old Mainland', 'Atoll Mainland' and 'South Mainland' were all mapped. North-East Mainland was slowly being pieced together at this time and I had intended to map it too but never did.
- way back - First implementation using the old Second Life World Map. No zoom capabilities.